Saturday, July 19, 2008

My new hood



Hmmmm. So much time has gone on. So much time has passed. Life has changed in a lot of really little ways. But who cares about that? The thing that I am realizing, as I become more and more comfortable in my twenty-something skin, is that it never stops – changing, that is. As a kid, you always think of “adulthood” as a destination. Like a trip that everyone has to take – one that you can never return from. The constant evolution is very intriguing to me. Not all adults are smart or good or have aged wisely. There is a choice to be made everyday. Will I be the person I want to be? Will I be good? Not just on the personal, do you really need that Chipotle way, but on the “goodness of mankind” level. Will I changes lives today?

The thing is, it is hard.

I don’t know what I expected – a parade or possibly a party to welcome me into my new “hood.” It didn’t happen. As an adult, you throw your own parties and, at mine, there will be dancing!

1 comment:

  1. LAC lady! I'm still waiting for that surprise party. I think it'll happen with my next promotion. Everyone on the street will know and they'll jump up and down and dance as confetti falls from the sky. And there will be people walking around on stilts, handing out balloons. And everyone will rush up to me with flowers and gold and they'll say, "You made it! We're so glad you're here! Look at all these wonderful things you've done, just think about what's to come!" And they'll hoist me up on their shoulders and sing, Hip hip, hoorah!! Until the sun goes down, and then the crowd will disperse and we'll wave into the distance until we are all but mere specks on the horizon.

    I LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete