Saturday, November 8, 2008

This is what I do – This is what I did – This is how I walk Spanish – And there really is an unemployment line

As you could probably tell from my last post (sorry it was soo long ago) my biggest fear in this modern day world, slightly below rape and war and hunger, was getting the ax from my job. Well, at 2:30pm on Thursday, October 16th it happened. I got laid off.


Now, let me say it again, so that the enormity of the situation can set in. I, along with 3 others, got laid off! I, along with 3 others, was given our last peanut of a paycheck and was told to hit the elevators. I, along with 3 others, was introduced to unemployment. Did you know that there really is a literal unemployment line and it is not just a ‘saying?’ Well, there is and it is filled with small Mexicans that are in the sunset of their lives.

Anywho – it sucks and like the characters from my friend Mandy’s favorite book, And Then We Came to the End, we all walked Spanish.

After it happened, I immediately went to my friend Catherine’s house, who also walked Spanish, for heavy drinking and cigarette smoking. What is interesting is you learn a lot about yourself during times like this. Hard times. Free-time is not so bad as long as you can fill it up with something. So, if any of you readers are about to get the boot from a job that never treated them well in the first place, take inspiration from me and the things I have learned:
1. Clark Dog is opened on Thursday nights at 3am
2. 10 for $10 vegi sale at the Jewel
3. I really love the show Mad Men
4. I really really love silver foxes and, if given the opportunity, would do naughty things to John Slattery. MMMMmmm
5. I hate the YMCA
6. I have yet to see the ghost of an immigrant child wondering my apartment, but I’m sure that it will happen soon – and no, I will not help them finish mending their trousers

Love, Peace and Pray for the millions of others that may not necessarily be Spanish, but are certainly walking it.

1 comment: