Sunday, June 5, 2011

That time Tom Selleck was shown a picture of my face next to a picture of his face on a sheet cake

A few months ago while sitting in a trendy, L.A. hot spot, Tom Selleck was approached by a man, a fan, a hero. We call him Nelson and he is my friend. The exchange between the two men went something like this:


“Hi, Mr. Selleck. I’m a huge fan of both you and the Tigers.”


“Well, thank you.”


“My friends are also huge fans. In fact, this is my friend on her birthday.”


Action: Nelson shows Selleck a picture on his phone


“Wow.”





Let me start from the beginning.


I like mustaches. Always have, always will. You will never meet a boring man (or woman) that wears a facial frock and on top of that, I was born in the 80’s, a time when everyone from Aaron Neville to Theo Huxtable was sporting, or trying to sport, a stache. Plus, my Dad has always had one. It goes along quite nicely with his cowboy, football star, cop persona.


I also like parties, a lot. I like to go to them and plan them and talk about them and think about future parties to plan while current parties are still going on. (ZOMG, I’m a control freak). So for my 25th birthday, I decided to throw a “Sparkly Glasses and Fancy Mustaches: Lauren Christine is 25!” party. It was held in the back of an old Irish pub. Above the nose, Sparkly glasses adorned many, while mustache glue was in high demand below for the traditional Caterpillar, Fu Man, and French. A few even grew their own while others painted their fingers for a fashionable Cocktail Stache. It worked.


The following year after a casual conversation with a hair stylist about Halloween costumes, I was inspired to make my 26th birthday party Tom Selleck themed, “Nothing says 26 like Tom Selleck: Lauren Christine is 26!” The idea was that everyone could come as their favorite version of him. Do you want to be Magnum P.I.? Maybe you know two other men and a baby. Are you dating Monica from Friends? However, due to my Pisces, my birthday usually falls on or very close to St. Paddy’s Day weekend, which usually themes my birthday for me. The party didn’t happen as I had proposed, but to make up for it, I was honored with a cake that honored the mustached man himself.


Fast forward about six months when Nelson was sent to L.A. for work. He was just sitting at a restaurant entertaining clients and guess who walks in. Yep. He did it. Tom Selleck saw my face next to his face on a cake. It was magic.



Epic Tom Selleck Trailer - watch more funny videos


Now, all of that being said, I'm really more of a Tom Skerritt fan.

3 comments:

  1. I had to Google Tom Skerritt, and duh- he's a babe! So says starpulse.com: "Tom Skerritt is probably the best-known actor whose name is never remembered." Ha. Ha. Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But isn't the font all weird?

    ReplyDelete