Friday, June 26, 2009

Church Choirs, Indian Warriors, Giant Birds, Beautiful Peasant Children; Farewell, Soul of Whimsy. Goodbye, Mr. Jackson

I'm sad. Michael Jackson is dead. That nation is in mourning.

Like so many others, my sense of loss comes from the fact I associate so many of my 25-year-old life's memories with his songs:
  • Riding in the back seat of my mother's car listening to Man in the Mirror as a 4-year-old
  • Him beating the shit out of a car during TGIF as an 8-year-old
  • Listening to Scream as loud as I could on my DiscMan and thinking, "My family really makes ME want to scream!" as a middle-schooler
  • Asking the hipster bartender at a Hipster Bar in Bucktown (that I wasn't cool enough to be at- a Gap wearer and all) to play Will You be There after several beers and a shot of Jameson -- two weeks ago
  • Dancing the Free Willie Dance (standing in the middle of the dance floor with one hand in the air) to Will You be There (played in my mind) after a few more beers --- later in the evening 2-weeks-ago
I'm not going to touch on the child molestation allegations, other than I don't think he did it.

I hope he is someplace wonderful...

2 comments:

  1. You need to watch the footage of his last rehearsal - I think it's on CNN.com. Also, check out my blog - want to see that movie with me on Tuesday?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. Oh, Lauren. Perfect picture at all stages in life.

    Did you ever watch "Moonwalker," or were you only allowed to watch "Colors"? And, what about, "(Do You) Remember the Time"!? I had that on VHS!! My, my. After watching that, I'd run outside and pretend I was Australian, or play some Oregon Trail, naming my mean teachers as a few characters hoping they'd get a snake bite or drown when I made them ford the river that was obviously too high for them to cross.

    MMMM.

    ReplyDelete