Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Girl, why am I not a billionaire?

Every time I watch Gossip Girl it leaves me feeling a bit unsettled. I look around at my 2 room apartment with cracked white undecorated walls and down at my dirty socks and plaid gap pajama pants and realize I will never be Blair Waldorf. And like a little girl that realizes she will never become a mermaid, my heart begins to break.

It isn't that I ever expect to run in the blue blood crowds or rub elbows with men that row boats and eat ivy, I don't think I would really enjoy it even if I did. I just really like the exciting fantasy of ridiculous wealth. A fantasy where I don't have to work at a job I hate and I can go back to school without taking out any loans and say things like, 'Margo, I'm off to Necker Island with Sir Richard and the kids.' But alas, I will trick myself into thinking I'm living the life of an artist for a bit longer. Just for a bit longer....

2 comments:

  1. Remember Oct./Nov. 2008 when we lived like kings? We might as have well been rich! Burritos by day, booze, jerky and crackers by night! Sleeping until noon because we could! Naps in the library because we could! You are more privileged than most, Svoboda. And every time you crack open a bottle of green pre-mixed drink or bight into a giraffe, I hope you remember those three glorious weeks when our wealth was measured in time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And by bight, I mean bite. Curses.

    ReplyDelete