Monday, May 11, 2009

We are not vampires - we are more like werewolves

Unhappiness. So many of my 20-something friends are so very unhappy. Unhappy with their jobs, shape of their nose, color of their teeth, race times and state of their facebook relationship status.

I don't exclude myself in this. My career...wait. What career? While my race times could stand some improvement, I do think I have pretty white teeth, regardless of what one of my 'friends' told me.

Conversation with 'friend:'

Her: 'Katie is always picking on me.'

Me: 'Seriously? Why? What could she say to you?'

Her: 'That my teeth are yellow.'

Me: 'I don't think your teeth are yellow. She's just being a brat.'

Her: 'Yeah. Well, they're the same color as yours.'

End scene. I have yellow teeth - according to a bratty idiot.

Back to my point. The biggest complaint I hear is that my friends are unhappy at work. This sucks, especially since this means we spend most of our waking hours at a place we hate doing something we hate more surrounded by people we hate even more than that. As children we are lied to, told we can become anything we want. Firefighter? Sure. Doctor? Of course. Astronaut? Okay. Puppet Master? Heck, why not? Lies. All lies.

The thing is, not everyone gets to live their dreams. Not everyone gets to do what makes them happy. Someone has to be the maid and pickup the garbage and deliver food to your table and answer the phones. It's just a gut sucking realization.

But, does it really matter? Does it really matter that we don't get to spend our time on this earth working the jobs that make us happy? I'm not 100%, but I'm pretty sure the answer is no. No, it doesn't matter.

Just stay with me and think about it. I'm 25, so I expect to be around for roughly 70 more years. 70 years after I die, my children and my children's children will more than likely be gone, too. Dead and gone. It won't matter what I did, who I was, how I brought in the bacon. No one will remember my name or the color of my skin or this blog. This rule is nonexclusive. You won't be remembered either - just like Donald Trump, Pink and that the Sears Tower was originally called The Sears Tower. It's just a fact. We are all going to die, so without trying to sound all existential or suicidal, it's better to just forget what is making you unhappy at the moment and have fun. Laugh. Giggle. Drink too much. Run too slow. And laugh some more.

We are all going to be dust before we know it. Alas, the folks at Disney were on to something again.




And, I don't like kids - really - not much anyway, but I do like Van Morrison and this video seems really fitting. Even if it does have stupid kids in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment